I apologize for the length of this message. Student safety is of primary importance for the Timberview community. With the same start and end times, Timberview Middle and Liberty High Schools are moving more than 3000 students and staff before and after school. With increased enrollment, traffic has substantially increased in and around Timberview and Liberty before and after school. I am asking for your support with the following rules to ensure student and staff safety:
1) Student drop off and pick up is NOT PERMITTED in the main parking lot. The main parking lot and handicapped parking spaces are reserved for students with physical challenges (must have a TMS pass), special needs buses, staff, and parents needing to access the building.
2) Please use Circle Drive and along Scarborough and Squireltail for student drop off and pick up. Students may be dropped off anywhere within the Traffic Circle, or along Scarborough and Squirreltail.
3) When dropping off students in the TMS Traffic Circle, please pull all the way forward to expedite the unloading and loading of students. There is a handicapped ramp located in the center of Traffic Circle for students who need this accommodation; this is not the designated drop off spot for students.
4) When entering the Traffic Circle, please do not make left hand turns off of Squirreltail into the Traffic Circle. When exiting the Traffic Circle, please make only right hand turns onto Squirreltail. If parked on the street near the Traffic Circle exit, please do not block the exit or the ability for drivers exiting the Traffic Circle to see traffic on Squirreltail. Please follow the cones marking the entry and exit routes from the Traffic Circle. Please do not remove the traffic cones, they are in place for student and traffic safety.
5) When dropping off students along Squirreltail and Scarborough, please have students exit your vehicle on the school side of the road. In every instance of a student being hit by a car, it has been the result of the student jaywalking and not using the designated crosswalks. Please reinforce with your child(ren) the importance of using the crosswalks to cross the street on the way to and from Timberview. Crossing Guards are posted at Squirreltail and Kashmire, Scarborough and Squirreltail, Austin Bluffs and Squireltail, Research and Austin Bluffs, and Research and Scarborough for student safety.
6) Please know that crossing guards are in place for student safety and not for the purpose of directing traffic. The majority of our students are driven to and from school, this creates a great deal of traffic congestion around TMS and LHS. I am asking for your patience while waiting in the line of cars to either drop off or pick up your child(ren). I am also asking your support in not blocking intersections or crosswalks with your vehicle, as this creates a safety hazard for students and the crossing guard.
7) Finally, parents please do not use the bus lot between TMS and LHS for parking, dropping off, or picking up students. The bus lot is only for district buses to load and unload students.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation making Timberview Middle School a safe environment for students and staff.
Brett W. Smith